- This event has passed.
Positive Gun Dog Workshop – May 18th & May 19th
May 18 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm$100.00 – 300.00 | 2 Days for 7 hours
This seminar will be beneficial for handlers who would like to train their dog as a hunting companion, for handlers wishing to obtain titles on their dog or for the family dog that would love to learn to play field sports. Field sports is for sporting breed dogs that want to do what they were bred for without hunting. Inga From will deliver a comprehensive, scientifically-based training program that will produce an excellent field companion, without the use of force fetch training or e-collars.
Day One – Saturday 9:30am to 4:30pm – at emBARK
• Overview of positive field sports
• Positive training basics
• Assessment of foundation skills
• Introduction to scent work
• How to teach a retrieve with positive training
Day Two: (outdoors) – Sunday 9:30am to 4pm – At Rod and Gun in Seymour
• Into the field
• Introduction to field sport training
• Field Sport Testing Level 1
Inga From, CDBC, CPDT-KSA, specializes in sporting breed dogs.
Inga offers a variety of dog behavior and training services. Inga has a background in law enforcement and had worked as a game warden in the state of Texas. She hunts waterfowl and upland birds with her Lab and Springer Spaniel. Both dogs have been working for years in the field without the use of an electronic collar.
Dog behavior is more than just a hobby to Inga; it is a full-time job. Inga is a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant (International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants), a Certified Professional Dog Trainer (Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers), and a professional member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers.
Inga was a national recipient of the Association of Professional Dog Trainer’s Shelter Staff Award. She had worked in shelter settings for over 10 years. Five of those years were spent at a local humane society where she served as the expert for the shelter in behavior and training. Inga traveled to India to study under John Rogerson – a world renowned dog trainer and behaviorist from the UK. Inga uses positive/motivational training techniques based on the LIMA (Least Invasive Minimally Aversive) principles.
- – Two day working spot = $300.00
- – Two day auditing = $175.00
- – One day auditing = $100.00 (either day)
Lunch will be included each day!
Notes for all participants:
–This is an indoor & outdoor seminar.
– All participants on site must be 12 years of age or over.
– All participants will be required to sign a waiver at check in.
– Please contact us for a list of dog friendly accommodations near the seminar.
– CEUs for the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers (CCPDT) are pending.
Requirements for participating dogs:
– Dogs must be at least 4 months of age, be up to date on vaccinations (Bordetella & canine tick preventative highly advised). Dogs should also be in good physical condition.
– Adult dogs must be able to work intensively throughout the day and should be able to carry out their basic manners tasks (loose leash walking, sit, stay and recall)
-Previous positive training classes (manners/obedience) recommended but not required.
– Participants must provide their own whistles, retrieving dummies and treat rewards for their dogs. Please bring a lot of treats – you’ll need them.
– Please bring a crate/kennel and water bowl for your dog and any other supplies your dog will require to handle the stress and excitement of the weekend.
– Barking dogs will be asked to quiet or leave.
– Aggressive/reactive dogs are not to be allowed on training grounds.
– Choke chains, prong collars and shock collars are not used on any dogs participating. Leave at home if you have these products.
– If you are signed up as “team special” you may bring more then one dog to the seminar but you will only be able to work one dog at a time.
– Handler and dog must be able to walk on uneven, unpaved surfaces including grassy field areas. Human participants may do a lot of standing and walking.
– Sunday will be mostly outside.
-We reserve the right to dismiss your dog if it poses a safety risk or creates a significant distraction which prevents others from learning.
If you have questions about if your dog would be a good candidate, please e-mail PositiveGunDogsMN@ymail.com with questions.